Roland MIDI Player SD-35 Sound Canvas refurb / repair

I was able to score a sweet sound canvas for my PC setup. Unfortunatly it arrived in a non working order 🙁 But hey, where’s the fun without a nice little repair?

First off – an outer inspection:

Is that tape residue..?

The whole thing seemed to be wrapped in tape sometime in the past. The residue is rock solid. Let’s turn it on it’s back…

Yikes!

I was a bit shocked – but the rust is just superficial. And one of the rubber feet is missing, no big deal. At this point I tried to power it and switch it on – but to no avail. It’s dead 🙁

While attempting the repair I let the rusted bottom plate soak in vinegar acid.

Removing the screws pops the beast open
See you in an hour or so 🙂

Back to the sound cavas!

Lookin’ fine

So, no acid damage on the underside. I’ve read in the manual that the device settings are stored in a battery. So I braced myself for some corrosive damage. Try to pop the hood and take a peek.

Sweet! The battery backed storage relies on a lithium cell (right hand side, in a nice cell holder) which seems to be fine. I removed it anyway, since its most probably dead.

Next up was another visual inspection. So I just unplgged all the plugs and had a look around. Just checking for anything obvious, broken traces, bulging capacitors, all that stuff.

This is the input selection switch. Seems to be dead and hollow. More about that later.

RIP

Always funny to find a literal bug! In addition to that I found the power input jack had cold joints and had a bodge wire dangling around.. Unfortunatly I don’t have a picture of that, just took one after removing it and some while the repair.

The whole pad was lifted and had to go. Mind the cold joints at the mounting bracked just to the right.
Just a close up
Glued down a piece of copper tape with super glue.
Slit the tape in the middle and stuffed it down the hole
Stuck it down by soldering both sides to the remaining copper trace of the pcb.
After letting the glued set for a few minutes I popped in a new socket. Luckily the footprint of these are common.

Next up was the input selector switch. First of all I desoldered it and checked how it was wired inside to find a replacement.

Tell me your secrets!

So after prying the outer shell it revealed all of its oxidised beauty.

EEK!

After giving it a scrub with brake cleaner I got this diagram:

Easy enough!

Well, its almost impossible to find a switch that is wired just like this. I’ve searched all the big retailers to no avail. Bummer. So I popped some other switches open to put in just the plastic piece in the broken switch. And hey, that worked just fine!

Living with the parts of his fallen brothers

So I soldered the “new” switch back in and tried to power it up. Bingo! It works just fine. So I focused at the shell again.

Next up I tackled the tape residue with goo gone. Just smeared it everywhere and put the case aside. Next up to see what the metal bottom was doing.

Smells like vinegar

Awesome! The vinegar ate all the rust away. Just wiped it in soapy water and scrubbed the plastic shell again. After that I just put everything together again.

Play it again, Roland…

That wraps it up! The sound canvas works nicely with my old PC. Oh, the disk drives works, too. Took a video of it for your hearing pleasure 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.